The main difference between cream cheese and Neufchatel is that cream cheese is higher in fat and calories, mild-tasting, very smooth texture, and made in America while Neufchatel is low in fat and calories compared to cream cheese, soft white french cheese and made only from raw cow’s milk.
- the cream cheese is a soft mild cheese that is enriched with sweet milk while the Neufchatel is unripped cheese having less fat and more moisture.
- the cream cheese first appeared in the 16th century in England and Neufchatel is an American product also seen in the 16th century.
- there are two major types of Neufchatel i.e., American Neufchatel and French Neufchatel while the cream cheese has no further type.
- American Neufchatel is very soft, smooth, grainy, and salty while the cream cheese has a smooth texture.
- Cream cheese does not ripen naturally. In contrast, the American Neufchatel cannot mature naturally, while the French Neufchatel matures in 6-10 weeks.
- Cream cheese is a mild cheese, sweet in taste, and is usually seasoned with herbs, garlic, black pepper, and fruits, etc. On the other hand, Neufchatel has the aroma and flavor of mushrooms.
- Cream cheese is made of pasteurized or unskimmed milk and cream, while Neufchatel is made of only raw cow’s milk.
- Cream cheese consists of 33% milkfat, on the other hand, Neufchatel consists of 23% milkfat.
- Cream cheese has more calories, while Neufchatel has fewer calories than cream cheese.
- Cream cheese comes in foil-wrapped sticks, while Neufchâtel cheese is usually heart-shaped, but can sometimes be in other shapes, forms, and sizes, etc., such as cylinders, brick shapes, and squares.
Cream Cheese vs. Neufchatel
We use different types of ingredients while making different types of dishes in our kitchen. Cream cheese and Neufchatel are also two of them. These two can be used in different recipes as an alternative to each other due to the similarities between them.
Neufchatel originated in France in the 6th century, while the use of cream cheese began in England in the 16th century. Neufchatel is softer and smoother than cream cheese in its texture and flavor.
Both are made from pasteurized milk, but cream cheese has more fat and calories than Neufchatel. Cream cheese is a mild cheese, sweet in taste, and is usually flavored with herbs, garlic, black pepper, and fruits, etc.
On the other hand, Neufchatel has the aroma and flavor of mushrooms. Both types are used to cover sweet and savory dishes, sauces.
Difference between cream cheese and Neufchatel in Tabular Form
|An unripe soft mild cheese made up of whole sweet milk enriched with cream is known as cream cheese.||A soft, unripened cheese similar to cream cheese but containing less fat and more moisture is known as Neufchatel.|
|It has no type.||It has two types, that is, American Neufchatel and French Neufchatel depending on its origin.|
|Cream cheese was first used in England in the 16th century.||Neufchatel originated in France in the 6th century.|
|Cream cheese has a smooth and smooth texture.||American Neufchatel is much softer and smoother than cream cheese, while French Neufchatel is grainy and salty.|
|Cream cheese is a mild cheese with a sweet taste and is usually seasoned with herbs, garlic, black pepper, and fruits, etc.||The Neufchatel has the aroma and flavor of mushrooms.|
|Cream cheese does not ripen naturally.||American Neufchatel cannot mature naturally, while French Neufchatel matures in 6-10 weeks.|
|Cream cheese contains 33% milk fat.||Neufchatel is made up of 23% milkfat.|
|Cream cheese consists of pasteurized or unskimmed milk and cream.||Neufchatel consists solely of raw cow’s milk.|
|Cream cheese comes in bars wrapped in foil.||Neufchâtel cheese is usually heart-shaped, but can sometimes have other shapes, forms, and sizes, etc., such as cylinders, brick shapes, and squares.|
|Cream cheese has more calories.||Neufchatel has fewer calories than cream cheese.|
What is cream cheese?
Cream cheese first originated in England in the 16th century. It is an unripe soft cheese made of whole sweet milk enriched with cream. It is white and smooth enough to be used as a spread at normal room temperature. Normally, cream cheese is made up of a combination of cream and pasteurized cow’s milk, while some manufacturers also add stabilizing ingredients like carrageenan and chewing gum to it.
It consists of 33% milk fat and a moisture content of up to 55%. Their homemade versions can include additional ingredients like salt and vinegar, etc.
Both the homemade and commercial versions do not ripen naturally. Therefore, it has a short shelf life and should be eaten fresh. It is usually sold in the form of bars wrapped in aluminum foil.
What is Neufchatel?
Neufchatel cheese originated in Neufchatel-en-Bray, a French commune in the Normandy region in the 6th century known as “French Neufchatel.”
In the 1870s, an American origin of the French Neufchatel known as “American Neufchatel” began. Neufchatel is a soft, unripened cheese similar to cream cheese but contains less fat and more moisture. It is made up of raw milk and has 23% fat.
American Neufchatel is much softer and smoother than cream cheese, while French Neufchatel is grainy and salty. The foil-wrapped Neufchatel cheese currently sold on the market is not the authentic French Neufchatel, but the modified American version based on pasteurized cow’s milk.
It is used for sauces, in bread spreads, and even sauces.
You May Also Like: