there are two types of mixtures: homogeneous and Heterogeneous mixture.
in this article, you’ll learn:
- What is a Heterogeneous Mixture?
- Lots more..!
Let’s get started…!
What is a Heterogeneous Mixture?
A Heterogeneous Mixture is a mixture in which the components can be seen with the naked eye. it has a non-uniform composition of elements. this composition changed from point to point or region to region. in other words, it is a mixture with two or more phases in the region. these phases remain separate from each other and thus helps to identify the properties of heterogeneous mixture easily.
Properties of Heterogeneous Mixture
- consist of two or more phases. these phases may be solids and liquids or liquids and gases etc.
- contains two or more ingredients.
- components can be separated easily using any physical method.
- the composition of components may wary in these mixtures by taking samples from different places.
- these type of mixtures retain their identity i.e., mixing different phases remains physically separated.
10 Examples of Heterogeneous Mixture
- stone in the picture down
- Concrete (Mixture of cement, sand, water)
- sand (watching carefully particles of sand can be identified)
- Chocolate chip cookies (we can separate different candies)
- Ice cubes in soda water (the ice cubes and soda are two separate substances)
- Salt and pepper
- Soda (Mixture of Carbon, sugar, and water)
- Toasted Salad
the proportion of components of homogeneous mixtures remains the same hence we can take samples where we want while in heterogeneous mixtures the proportion of components may vary and taking samples from different places may contain different proportions. suppose that we have a bag full of candies green in color. if we take a handful of some candies.
they all will be green in color. now let’s take another handful of green candies. both times the color of candies remains green. hence, this is a homogeneous mixture of candies. in contrast, we have a bad full of multicolor candies. taking a handful from them may contain 6 candies with red color. again, taking another handful of candies may present 7 red candies this time. this is a type of other mixture.
You May Also Like: